Monday, December 8, 2008

Über fiasco ...

I was feeling pretty confident when the contractions started to come, because I had my little app on my iPod to deal with them, and somehow help with the excruciating pain which was to build-up over the course of several hours ... that is until I realized, with horror and tremendous shame, that it kept on crashing. Of course, this was purely my fault. Just the day before, we had a perfectly working application. Sure, it was far from perfect, and there was a lot of polishing still to be done, but it had been tested and was fulfilling its purpose. I should have avoid touching anything since we were getting close to the due date, and thus we could need it at any time. And yet, on the morning of the 19th, I decided to start implementing some of the changes Susan and I had talked about. I was so certain that my changes will have minimum impact, and that we will have time to re-test it, that I didn't even register that I was stomping all over one of the most fundamental law in life: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". The results of my risky endeavour, was a fiasco (the baby still made it out A-Okay, so not everything bombed).

What is even more annoying, is the cause of the crash was pretty dumb, and only took a couple of second to figure out. If I had run into it while testing the app within Xcode, I will have seen it within the debugger.

Alas ... lesson harshly learned.

No comments: