Thursday, December 18, 2008

When too much is too much ... #2

I'm finally putting the final touches to my NSKeyedArchiver/NSKeyedUnarchiver replacement. It's not that it's a complex things to do really, it's just that finding the time to do it with a 4 weeks old baby around is I found, a major challenge. Overall, I'm satisfied by how my archiver is doing since it's packing that simple object (1 uint + 1 float) I was talking about in my previous post into 44 bytes instead of the wasteful 232 bytes of NSKeyedArchiver (while still supporting keyed encoding, of course). That 44 bytes include a preamble which ,when needed, could be skipped, for example when storing a collection of objects into a same file, so the archived object really only take 35 bytes, which isn't bad all considered :-)

No comments: