Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Cocoa Day! ... err Canada day ...

Not since my early days as a Symbian developer, have I spent so many days just reading documents without doing much coding. Since today is an holiday in Canada, I'm sizing the opportunity to finish reading Memory Management Programming Guide for Cocoa, and then hopefully start reading the Cocoa Fundamentals Guide. Early last week, I had finished reading the Objective-C 2.0 document from Apple, which (big surprise) is based on the original NeXT document I had read before, so yeah you can save yourself sometime by skipping that old document ... 9_9 Since I'm going over the memory management rules in use for Cocoa programming, I now realize (with some embarrassment) that my mistake with the exception from a couple of blog entries ago, was due to my ignorance of the common rule that a convenience constructor (such as +exceptionWith...) must autorelease the object that it creates.

Rogers have announced last week the pricing of the plans to go with the iPhone 3G in Canada. We were going to get an iPhone 3G (for my wife), but since, this is definitely way over-priced, we simply won't as she doesn't really need a cell phone. It's nice that the phone by it-self is much cheaper than a year ago, but the total cost of ownership is insane ... too bad for Rogers & Apple, since it looks like lots of people won't get it for the same reason.

We went to see Wall-E last night and really enjoyed it. I don't think it's the best ever Pixar movie in my book, but it is definitely a good one. The usual short movie, Presto, that is shown before the main attraction is most excellent :-) After the show, we were wondering what is the next movie to be released next year, and I though it will be Toy Story 3, but it turns out that it's one called Up ... and yes, there was no trailer for this up-coming movie before Wall-E :-(

Last but not least, Scott Stevenson has recently posted an article on Thinking like a Cocoa programmer, which is a good read for all Cocoa wannabee like myself :-)

1 comment:

ankahi said...

Hey, post a link to that petition so that we can sign it and get Rogers to lower the prices.

And yeah, Wall-E does not deserve the 9.2/10 rating that it has got on imdb. Was there any innovative CG that I missed, seemed like there hasn't been any improvement for a couple of years. And what new technology were they trying to showcase in 'Presto'?
Giving robots anthropomorphic characteristics.. just doesn't do it for me. Ratatouille and Monsters Inc. were better in that respect.