Friday, July 18, 2008

Raiders of the Lost Creativity

I have been struggling some lately with my attempt to convert myself as an indie developer on the Mac/iPhone platform. The problem that I face isn't technical (e.g learning Cocoa) but rather psychological ... Dude, where's my creativity? In my previous experiences (Newton, BeOS, QNX), I always had a very clear goals in mind when starting up, even if (in retrospect) they didn't turn out to been successful ... (but that's another story). This time around, I found my-self very excited by the platform ... but without any concrete idea of what the heck to do ... Meanwhile, the iTunes app store is filling up with some great pieces (and some crappies one apparently) of software (like Intua's BeatMaker), and I can't help feeling like I'm missing the boat or something ... :-\ Anyhow, I'm still committed albeit not overly motivated. I dropped tonight at my locale Chapters and grabbed the 3rd edition of Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. For once, they had it in stock. I actually also have (I should said had, since it's now in the recycling bin) the 1st edition, which have been collecting dust on my bookshelf for the past 5 years (it's so out of sync with the current version of Cocoa that it's not usable). Since I'm on holiday all next week, I'll try to set some time away from all the fun to read it and who knows maybe get some inspiration. In any case, if you've reading this and got some ideas ... let's get in touch 8-)

No comments: