Thursday, October 2, 2008

Avkon Touch

Nokia finally announced today their answer to Apple's iPhone, the 5800 XpressMusic. engadget.com has a little blurb about it including several pictures of it. Funnily, the author of the post (Chris Ziegler) asks if anyone remember the 7710 ... and I do since I worked on it at Nokia Vancouver back in 2004 (in case you're wondering, I contributed to the Voice Recorder and Paint applications). That phone never made it (AFAIK) to North America. It went on sale in Europe and Asia for only a short time before the project was canned, and Series 90 shelved. Being a contractor, the whole drama didn't have much impact on me really. It was, however, very instructive on the way things work in a company of Nokia's size.

So about that new Touchscreen smartphone? Yeah, it's stylish (as usual for Nokia) ... not sure I like the UI ... It definitly lack a certain je ne sais quoi (the Apple's touch I guess) and doesn't seems to be all that responsive (from what we can see in the videos) ... Oh and it's running Symbian with likely some sort of Avkon Touch ... Yeeeeeeks! That's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned ;-)

No comments: