Monday, June 16, 2008

Bandwith stealer (casual)

Since I was in Victoria all week-end, I didn't manage to continue learning the way of the OS-X platform. However, since I had my iTouch with me, I was able to "steal" a bit of bandwidth from various location ... enough to check a couple of web sites (e.g Slashdot). I don't know if you have travelled to Victoria, but in order to get there you need to take a ferry (1.5 hours) on a very scenic trip. This is usually a good occasion to check out what kind of electronic toys are popular these days. During past trips, I had very often saw many Apple laptops (in majority at time!), but yesterday, oddly enough, I didn't see a single one, only PC laptops and a couple of iPhone and iPod touch and "older" iPods. I think that it will be nice if a wireless Internet access was provided on-board the ferry, however one should really be enjoying the trip from the promenade decks and not be plowing away on a laptop (albeit it should be possible to geek from the deck).

In the past, when confronting with the need to learn a new platform, I have in most case been subject to hard time constraints (e.g day job) forcing me to get up to speed as quickly as possible. However, since my current Cocoa endeavor isn't bound to any particular project (at the moment) I have been taking my time, leisurely (some may said lazily) reading the various documents I have printed-out (sorry, I'm not much for ready PDF on a screen). The thing with Apple documentation, is that it is usually filled with good content, while being also pleasant to the eyes. True be told, I haven't really started reading a document authored by Apple, since I have been reading and older document published by NeXT: Object-Oriented Programming and the Objective-C language. But, I can said that the layout and content are definitly very much akin to Apple's documents (e.g The Objective-C 2.0 Programming Language). Since I'm not even half-way trough the document, and that so far it have only covered the basic OO concepts, which which I'm already familiar, I can't (yet) tell if it is a recommended reading when getting started with MacOS programming. Likely it's an interesting read from an historical standpoint, but likely not a mandatory one since it's a little bit outdated (I believe it is from 1997).

No comments: