Thursday, June 12, 2008

JavaOne vs. WWDC

If I had some readers, I'll probably get a lot of flak about the title of this post. Afterall, JavaOne and WWDC, it's like comparing ... well apple to orange. While the Java event is more about Java technologies and the community, Apple's yearly event is very much focused on offering to developers the opportunity to learn/improve/discover the Apple platform(s). So then, what is there to compare you may ask? Well, coverage and openess of the event. While the WWDC keynote is overly covered both by the press and the attendees (and by Apple), the rest of the week goes by relatively un-noticed and uncovered. Sure, there is a couple of blogs/sites on which (lucky) participants share (a bit of) their adventure (e.g The iLife) but official coverage from Apple is non-existant (please correct me if I'm wrong). A starck difference with what Sun provides online during (and after) JavaOne. Now, I'm aware that attending WWDC isn't free, thus I can understand that sessions material isn't readily available on the web during/after the conference, but I do think that a bit more coverage geared towards the developer that couldn't (but wanted to) make it, could be beneficial to the community IMHO.

No comments: